This creamy quinoa porridge is the perfect alternative to your regular oatmeal. It is naturally gluten free, rich in proteins and fibers, low in sugar and very easy to prepare on the morning.
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa (white, red or black)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- a pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Extra plant based milk
- 1 scoop of coconut yogurt
- Fresh berries mix
- Crushed walnuts
- Rinse the quinoa under cold running water and strain.
- Mix the almond milk, coconut milk and salt in a medium sauce pan. Cover with a tight lid and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once boiling, add the quinoa, stir, cover and bring to a boil again. Then reduce heat to low and allow to cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes, until mostly all of the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is soft.
- Remove form heat and mix in maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Before serving, fluff it with a fork to separate the grains. Serve in a bowl with an extra milk, coconut yogurt, berries, crushed walnuts or any of your favorite toppings.
- For a totally sugar free version, omit maple syrup.
- Make sure you are using organic quinoa and rinse it well before cooking.
- In this recipe I’ve used red quinoa, however feel free to use any other variety : white and black quinoa also perfectly work here.
Keywords: porridge, quinoa, oatmeal, gluten free, breakfast