A healthy and simple banana bread that is gluten-free, low in fat and sugar, but sill incredibly moist and delicious.
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 5 tbsp of water
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of oat flour (see notes)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or cane sugar)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 1 yellow banana (not over-ripped)
- Preheat your oven to 350F and grease and line a 9×5 loaf pan.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing the ground flax seeds with the water in a small bowl. Stir well and set aside to let gel for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir and set aside to thicken for 2 minutes.
- Peel and mash the very ripe bananas using a fork until puree. Don’t over mash it, it’s okay if the texture is not perfectly homogeneous.
- Then mix all the wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Then pour the dry mixture into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Don’t over-mix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and spread it evenly using a spatula. Slice the yellow banana in half down the middle and place the slices with the cut side facing up on top of your banana bread.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to completely cool down before removing from the pan, at least 1 hour.
- You can make your own oat flour by blending rolled oats until you get a very fine flour consistency.
- The baking time can vary depending on your oven. To make sure your banana bread is baked, insert a toothpick or a knife into the banana bread and pull it out. If it comes out clean, the bread is ready.
- Because it is gluten free, this banana bread will stay pretty moist inside. Make sure to let it completely cool down before removing from the mould to allow the bread to firm up.
Keywords: banana bread, bread, cake, banana, gluten free,