The best vegan dark chocolate chip cookie made with salted tahini and olive oil. Thick, chewy on the inside and crispy on the edges. Make a single serve or increase the quantities to make a bigger batch.
- 40 g spelt flour (or all-purpose flour, see notes)
- 20 g almond meal
- 7 g cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 30 g tahini
- 6 g olive oil
- 25 g plant based yogurt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 10 g coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 squares of good quality dark chocolate or chocolate chips, I used this Ethiquable organic dark chocolate & sea salt from Peru
- 1 pinch of sea salt flakes to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, almond meal, cornstarch, baking powder and salt to a mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix the tahini, olive oil, plant based yogurt and vanilla extract. Add the coconut sugar and whisk until smooth and creamy. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix to combine, until a dough forms. Roughly chop the chocolate and incorporate into the dough.
- Roll the dough into one big ball, place on the baking sheet and gently press on the top with your palm to flatten (the cookie won’t spread a lot during cooking). Sprinkle with salt flakes and add more chocolate chunks on top if desired. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges and tops are lightly browned.
- Cool the cookie on the baking sheet for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookie will continue to dry and firm up while cooling.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- This recipe leads to one big single serve cookie, but feel free to increase the quantities to make a bigger batch and / or smaller cookies. If you do so, don’t hesitate to slightly adjust the quantities of flour and wet ingredients to reach the right consistency. Also adapt the baking time that highly depends on the size of the cookies.
- If you replace the spelt flour with all-purpose flour (which is more absorbent), you might need to add a little more yogurt (about 5 g more, for the original quantities) to get the right texture.
Keywords: cookie, vegan cookie, single serve cookie, chocolate chip cookie, tahini olive oil chocolate chip cookie,