You’ll never buy store-bought coconut yogurt again after tasting this one. This 2-ingredients coconut yogurt is very easy to make, thick, rich and creamy.
- 1 14-ounce can of organic full fat organic coconut milk
- 2 capsules probiotic (at least 50 billions live cultures)
- Shake the coconut milk can before opening to ensure thorough mixing. Then open the can and pour the coconut milk into a clean dry glass mason jar.
- Empty the probiotic capsules into the coconut milk and use a wooden spoon to stir until smooth and no probiotic lumps remain. For extra precaution or if lumps of powder remain, you can mix the coconut milk in a blender for 30 seconds.
- Cover the jar with a layer of cheesecloth to allow air circulation, and secure with a rubber band or a string.
- Let activate in a warm place (at least 75F) for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, check on the coconut yogurt : the mixture should have started to thicken. Make sure there is no particular smell or coloration. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix the top layer and homogenize. Put the cheesecloth back on the jar and let sit for an additional 24 hours.
- After 48 hours total, remove the cheesecloth and stir one last time. At this stage, the coconut yogurt should be already thick and creamy.
- Secure the jar with a lid and place in fridge to chill and thicken up for at least 6 hours. The coconut yogurt will continue to thicken until reaching a texture similar to a Greek yogurt.
- Your coconut yogurt is now ready. Enjoy plain with granola, fresh fruits or as a topping for pancakes and even savory meals like curry. You can also add a bit of sweetener like agave, maple syrup or fruit purée.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for several days. Always check the consistency and smell before consuming.
- For best results, make sure you are using high quality coconut milk : full fat, with the highest percentage of coconut (at least 85%) and preferably organic. You can use light coconut milk but the yogurt will stay very fluid. For a very creamy and thick consistency similar to Greek yogurt, prefer coconut milk with natural thickeners like guar gum.
- Make sure you’re using vegan-friendly probiotics with a minimum of 50 billion live cultures.
- Note that the final result highly depends on the coconut milk and probiotics you are using. The taste and texture may vary depending on the brands and countries. I suggest to try different brands until you get the perfect combination.
Keywords: coconut yogurt, dairy-free, side, breakfast, dessert