Fluffy, moist and delicious small buns that hide an irresistible melting chocolate spread heart. These are vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and sugar-free, for a super easy and healthy snack, breakfast or decadent dessert.
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp orange blossom water (optional)
- 4 tbsp KORO Organic date hazelnut spread
- 1 tsp KORO organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 340 degrees F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the white rice flour, almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and salt to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix the apple sauce, almond milk, vanilla extract, orange zest and orange blossom water.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until well combined. The dough should be wet and spongy, but firm enough to be shaped. If the dough is too wet and sticky, add a little more rice flour.
- Working with wet hands, divide the dough into 4 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball. With the palm of your hand, flatten each ball into a disk. Fill each disk with 1 tablespoon of KORO Organic date hazelnut spread. Close the dough tight by rolling the dough to cover the spread, and shape a ball.
- Arrange the balls on the lined baking tray and gently press them down with the palm of your hand to slightly flatten. Bake the buns for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the brushing mixture by mixing 1 teaspoon of maple syrup and 1 teaspoon of almond milk. Remove the buns from the oven and brush with the wash. Bake for 3-4 minutes more, until golden brown.
- Let the buns cool down on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Enjoy immediately, while the filling is still melty and the buns warm and soft.
- Store the buns at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days. The filling with slightly firm up after a few hours. I personally recommend to enjoy these buns straight after they’re baked, or on the same day.
Keywords: buns, soft buns, chocolate spread, filled buns, soft cookies, nutella,