An easy one-bowl recipe for fluffy, light and perfectly soft vegan sourdough pancakes. They are made with leftover sourdough for a hint of tanginess and delicious flavors.
- 1 3/4 cup sourdough starter (either leftover discard or bubbly)
- 3 tbsp almond flour (see notes)
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- To a large mixing bowl, whisk together fresh sourdough starter and almond flour until combined.
- Add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract and mix well. Pour the almond milk and whisk gently until a smooth batter forms.
- Then sift the salt and baking soda into the preparation and whisk again to combine. Allow the batter to sit for about 5 minutes to puff up. It will approximately double in size as it aerates. The texture should be thick, bubbly, and pourable.
- Heat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add a dollop of coconut oil to prevent sticking, and swirl the pan around to coat.
- For small pancakes, pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan (or 1/3 cup for larger pancakes). Spread to a circle with the back of a spoon if necessary, and cook for 1-2 minutes. When the edges start to become matte and bubbles appear on the surface, flip the pancake over. Cook for another minute or until golden-brown on each side.
- Grease the pan with more coconut oil if it gets too dry and repeat the process with the remaining batter. Lower the heat as needed.
- Stack the warm pancakes on a plate and serve with your favorite toppings, such as maple syrup, salted caramel, chocolate sauce, berry comporte, coconut yogurt or fresh fruits.
- This batch makes either 8 small 4-inch pancakes or about 4 larger 6-inch pancakes.
- You can use sourdough starter, either fresh straight from the refrigerator or bubbly.
- Make your own almond flour by grinding blanched almonds in a food processor or a blender until you get a very fine flour. If you can get almond flour or make it yourself, substitute almond flour for all purpose flour but the pancakes will be less fluffy and more dense and gummy.
Keywords: Pancakes, sourdough, fluffy pancakes, vegan pancakes, sourdough pancakes, breakfast, brunch