This carob loaf is totally gluten free, sweetened by ripe banana and with a surprising chocolate carob flavor. You’ll love the thick and creamy tahini caramel frosting that brings the perfect sweet touch and the crunchy roasted hazelnuts on top.
Carob loaf :
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp carob powder
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 medium very ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped
Tahini caramel frosting :
- 4 medjool dates
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp coconut cream or soy cream
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup crushed roasted hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease or line a loaf mold with parchment paper (using parchment paper will make it easier to remove from the mold). Set aside.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing the ground flax seeds with 5 tbsp of water and set aside for 5 minutes. The ground flaxseeds will absorb the water and make the mixture thicken.
- In a large bowl combine the flours, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, carob, cocoa powder and salt.
- Using a fork, mash the bananas in a flat bottom dish until pureed. In a medium bowl, mix the mashed banana, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Add in the flax egg preparation and stir well to combine.
- Pour the liquid preparation over the dry mixture in the large bowl and stir until perfectly combined and no lumps remaining. The batter should be smooth and pretty thick. If the batter is too dry and crumbly, add a little more almond milk.
- Fold in the chopped dark chocolate and stir to incorporate.
- Pour the loaf batter in the prepared mold, spread using a spatula and smooth the surface.
- Bake for around 40 minutes or until the top of the loaf is dry and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow the loaf to cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from the mold, while you prepare the frosting.
Tahini caramel frosting :
- Pit and roughly chop the medjool dates and blend all the ingredients together in a high speed blender until perfectly smooth and creamy. Transfer in a bowl and allow to chill in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm.
- Once chilled, remove the loaf from the mold and place on a serving plate.
- Using a spatula, spread the frosting on top of the loaf. Garnish with crushed roasted hazelnuts. Enjoy !
- You can make the oat flour by simply mixing rolled oat until you get a fine flour consistency.
- This recipe is for a small loaf. If you’re using a standard US bread loaf tin, I recommend to double the recipe.