Vegan baked cheesecake with hazelnut crust and a creamy tofu vanilla filling. It’s smooth, perfectly sweet, rich and insanely delicious. Easy to make, gluten free and refined sugar free.
- 125 g buckwheat flour
- 125 g hazelnut meal (see notes)
- 40 g coconut sugar
- 50 g melted coconut oil
- 50 ml almond milk unsweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 500 g silken tofu
- 180 g natural almond butter
- 90 g agave or maple syrup
- Grains from 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 tonka bean, finely grated
- A pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180°C) and line a 18 cm (7-inch) springform pan with parchment paper.
- Add buckwheat flour, hazelnut meal, coconut sugar and salt to a large mixing bowl. Pour melted coconut oil and stir to combine. Then add almond milk and vanilla extract and stir using a spatula until a dough forms. The dough should be a crumbly but stick together when pressed. If too dry, add a bit more milk. Alternatively, you can use a food processor to mix all the ingredients together.
- Transfer the mixture to the lined springform pan and firmly press the crust into the bottom and about 3 cm (1 1/4 in) up the sides until evenly distributed and well packed. You can use a flat-bottomed object, like a drinking glass or a jar, to press down the dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven to cool while you prepare the filling.
- Add all the ingredients for the filling in a high speed blender and blend until perfectly smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the quantity of sweetener, vanilla and tonka to your taste.
- Pour the filling oven the pre-baked crust and spread into an even layer. Gently tap the pan on the counter to remove any air bubbles and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then cover with a sheet of aluminum foil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes more. Check the cooking by very gently touching the top of the cheesecake with your finger. The cheesecake should be brown on top, slightly dry on the edges while the middle still appear a little jiggly but not liquid.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes at room temperature to cool down. Once it has cooled slightly, transfer to the fridge to set completely, uncovered, for at least 5 hours or preferably overnight. The cheesecake will firm up as it chills and the flavors will intensify.
- To serve, carefully lift the cheesecake out of pan and slice.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- Instead of hazelnut meal, blitz whole hazelnuts in a food processor or a blender until a fine meal is achieved.
Keywords: Cheesecake, baked cheesecake, vegan cheesecake, tofu, dessert