A healthy and simple banana bread that is gluten-free, low in fat and sugar, but sill incredibly moist and delicious.
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond butter (or any nut butter of your choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of oat flour (see notes)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or cane sugar)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 1 yellow banana (not over-ripped)
- Preheat your oven to 350F and grease and line a 9×5 loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir and set aside to activate for 3 minutes. Some little milk clots will form on the surface, which is totally normal.
- Peel and mash the very ripe bananas using a fork until puree. Don’t over mash it, it’s okay if the texture is not perfectly homogeneous and small bites remain.
- Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, almond butter and vanilla extract to the mashed bananas and stir to combine. Then add this mixture to the almond milk and whisk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Then pour the dry mixture into the wet ingredients and mix using a wooden spatula until just combined. Don’t over-mix the batter, it’s okay if it’s not totally homogeneous.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and smooth the surface using a spatula. Slice the yellow banana in half down the middle and place the slices with the cut side facing up on top of your banana bread.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool down for 20 minutes, then remove the banana bread from the mold and allow to completely cool down, for at least 1 hour.
- You can make your own oat flour by blending rolled oats until you get a very fine flour consistency.
- The baking time can vary depending on your oven. To make sure your banana bread is baked, insert a toothpick or a knife into the banana bread and pull it out. If it comes out clean, the bread is ready.
- Because it is gluten free, this banana bread will stay pretty moist at heart. Make sure to let it completely cool down before removing from the mould and slice to allow the bread to firm up.
- This recipe has been updated the 21/12/2019. Ground flax seeds have been removed and replaced for almond butter, and the quantity of flour and almond meal have been adjusted.
Keywords: banana bread, bread, cake, banana, gluten free,