The ultimate comfort food made healthy! This healthy vegan Mac and Cheese is made from scratch with simple plant-based whole-food ingredients. Easy, cheesy, super creamy and ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 2 medium potatoes (1 1/2 cup), peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot (1 cup), peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup cashew nuts, I used KoRo raw cashews
- 1 small white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast, I used KoRo nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cup dried pasta of choice, gluten-free if needed, I used whole wheat penne pastas
- A pinch of chili flakes
- Soak cashews in hot water for 20 minutes until they are soft. Then rinse and drain.
- Peel and cut the potatoes and carrot in medium cubes and cook in a large pot of boiling water for about 15-20 minutes until soft. Discard the water and set aside.
- In the meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling water according to the packaging directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Peel and mince the onion and garlic. Add to a pan with a splash of water and sauté for about 2 minutes on medium-high heat until translucent.
- Once everything is cooked, place all the cheesy sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until perfectly smooth and creamy. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more almond milk until you get the desired consistency.
- Mix the hot cooked pasta with the cheesy sauce in the pot and serve immediately with a pinch of chili flakes on top.
- Keep any leftovers in an air thigh container in fridge for up to 3 days. For better conservation, store the pastas and the cheesy sauce separately.
- You can use any kind of pasta of your choice, but penne and elbow macaroni are the most popular for this dish. If necessary, use gluten-free pasta.
- For best results and to avoid the pasta to break when mixed with the sauce, I recommend to under-cook the pasta of 1 minute.
- To reheat the cheesy sauce, add a splash of almond milk and stir if the sauce has thickened. Then place in a small pot and heat on low for a few minutes.
- For a baked Mac and Cheese, place the pasta in a baking dish and pour the cheesy sauce on top (optionally garnish with grated vegan cheese). Then bake for about 20 minutes at 350F, until the top is golden.
Keywords: mac and cheese, vegan cheese, pasta, cheesy, main dish, oil-free,