These homemade vegan Twix Bars are a healthier take on the classic bar. A buttery shortbread biscuit is layered with caramel, and coated with chocolate ganache. They are easy to make with only 9 ingredients, have no processed sugars, and are gluten-free!
- 1 1/2 cup coconut flour (150 g)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (55 g)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (30 g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 7 medjool dates, pitted (125 g)
- 2 tbsp tahini (45 g)
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (50 g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of sea salt flakes
- 1/4 cup tahini (60 g)
- 1/4 cup vegan dark chocolate, chopped (50 g)
- 1 tsp melted coconut oil (10 g)
- 1 pinch of sea salt flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 6×6 inch (16cm x 16cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Mix together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla in a small bowl. Add the coconut flour and salt to a medium bowl. Add the wet preparation and mix until all the ingredients are well combined and a dough forms. The dough is a little dry and crumbly but must hold when you press it between two fingers.
- Press the dough onto the bottom of the pan and flatten the surface with your fingers or use a flat object like the bottom of a glass or a cup. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and let the biscuit cool completely in the pan.
- Pit and roughly chop the dates. Place all the ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Depending on your blender, you might have to stop and scratch down the sides serval time during the process.
- Pour the caramel filling over the biscuit and spread evenly with a spatula. Place in the freezer for about an hour or until the caramel is set before adding the last layer.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler or microwave until completely melted and smooth. Add the tahini and mix to combine.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the firmed caramel layer. Smooth evenly by gently tapping the edges of the pan and sprinkle with sea salt flakes if desired. Return to the freezer to let the chocolate set up, about 10 minutes.
- Gently remove from the pan and cut into 12 bars. Store the bars in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- These Twix bars keep very well in the freezer for up to 1 month or in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- You can replace the tahini in the chocolate ganache and caramel filling with almond butter, cashew butter or even sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option.
- You can replace the coconut flour with blanched almond flour and double the quantity. If you make the substitution, don’t hesitate to slightly adjust the quantity of wet ingredients to get the right texture.
Keywords: Twix, Vegan Twix bar, vegan caramel, chocolate bar, biscuit, gluten free Twix,