Warm, rich, creamy, spicy, this vegan rice pudding is the quintessence of comfort food! It comes with a delicious espresso caramel sauce. It’s super easy to make with only 5 main ingredients. Enjoy hot or cold for a cozy breakfast or decadent dessert.
- 1/2 cup pudding (arborio) rice
- 2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of vanilla bean (or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp brown miso (optional)
- 1 espresso shot (30 ml)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp hazelnut butter
- Roasted hazelnuts
- Coconut shavings
- Cacao nibs
- Add the rice, milk, cinnamon and vanilla to a medium sized saucepan and place it over a medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook gently for 20-25 minutes, stirring often, until the rice is cooked and soft, and the pudding thick and creamy. If necessary add more milk during the cooking to reach the right consistency.
- Meanwhile, prepare the espresso caramel. Prepare a shot of coffee espresso. In a small bowl, combine the espresso, maple syrup and hazelnut butter. Stir to get a smooth caramel like sauce.
- When the rice is cooked, stir in the maple syrup and miso if using. Taste and adjust the seasoning according to your preferences.
- Scoop warm rice pudding into bowls, drizzle with espresso caramel sauce and top with roasted hazelnuts, coconut shavings and cacao nibs.
- Rice pudding will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Before eating, add to a sauce pan with a splash of milk and gently heat on low heat.
Keywords: Rice pudding, rice porridge, pudding, dessert, breakfast, espresso, caramel, gluten free