Vegan Sheet pan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with a creamy pumpkin caramel and pecans filling are the perfect comforting fall treat. They are incredibly soft and fluffy, easy to make with simple ingredients.
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp warm water
- 1/2 tsp fast-acting dry yeast (or 12 g fresh yeast)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (260g)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or cane sugar)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée
Caramel pecan filling
- 4 soft dates (see notes)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tbsp aquafaba (chickpea brine, optional)
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- In a small bowl, mix together the almond milk and the hot water. Check the temperature: the mixture should be warm but not too hot, slightly under 100 degrees F (37°C) not to kill the yeast. If it’s too hot whisk to cool.
- Sprinkle the yeast evenly on the warm liquid and let activate for 2 minutes. Then stir until the yeast is completely dissolved in the liquid.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt, and mix to combine.
- Pour in the milk and yeast mixture, together with the melted coconut oil and the pumpkin purée. If using a stand mixer, mix with the hook accessory until the dough is smooth, elastic and not sticky. This can take up to 5-8 minutes to get the right consistency. If you don’t have a stand mixer, start mixing the dough with a spatula until combined. Then transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and kneed for about 10 minutes until smooth.
- Form a loose ball with the dough. Place it into a greased mixing bowl and cover with a clean towel. Set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the caramel filling. Pit and chop the dates (they must be very soft, see notes for recommendations). Place all the ingredients except from the pecans in a high-speed blender and mix until perfectly smooth and creamy. Pour the caramel into a bowl and leave to set in fridge.
- Once the dough has risen, turn out onto a floured surface. Roll out the dough into an even 28 cm x 28 cm square (if you have changed the quantities of the recipe, adapt the dimensions accordingly).
- Pour the caramel on the dough and gently spread with a spatula to fully cover the surface. Evenly sprinkle the chopped pecans on top.
- Fold the dough in half. Then, with a sharpened knife, cut 0.8 inch wide strips in the length-wise direction.
- Grease a pan of dimensions about 8 x 5 inches. Arrange the strips of dough in the pan in order to shape beautiful abstract swirls and nearly completely fill the pan (the dough will continue to rise).
- Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare the glaze by mixing all the ingredients together.
- Once the oven is hot and the dough has risen, bake for 20 minutes. Then remove from the oven and brush with the glaze. Return to the oven and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- It’s really important that the dates are vey soft to get a smooth and creamy caramel. I highly recommend to use medjool dates, a natural smooth, juicy and sweet variety. If you can’t find medjool dates or if your dates are dry, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes before using to soften.
Keywords: rolls, buns, sheet pan rolls, pumpkin rolls, pumpkin, baking, dessert, snack