This simple crunchy granola is packed with subtle flavors of hazelnut and orange for a nourishing, healthy and tasty breakfast. Perfect with a spoon of yogurt and fresh fruits.
- 1 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup rice flakes (or replace with more oats, see Notes)
- 2 tsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup roasted hazelnuts
- zest from half an orange
- 4 dates pitted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 345F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the rolled oats and the rice flakes in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, melt the coconut oil with the maple syrup and vanilla extract. Stir until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour the coconut maple mixture in the dry ingredients and mix using a wooden spatula until everything is well coated. Then add the apple sauce, ground ginger and salt, and stir to spread. The mixture should be crumbly and a little wet.
- Finally mix in the black sesame seeds, crushed hazelnuts, orange zest, the dates pitted and roughly chopped and mix to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Spread out the granola on the baking tray in an even layer. Try to form an even rectangle in the center of the sheet but don’t over pack the granola.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then gently flip the granola and bake for 10 minutes more until crispy and golden.
- Remove from the oven, give a last good stir and allow to completely cool down before serving or storing.
- Once cold, store the granola in a glass jar or an airtight container on the countertop. It can be kept for more than a month in a dry place away from light.
- If you’re gluten intolerant, make sure you are using certified gluten free rolled oats.
- You can replace the rice flakes with more oats or any flakes of your choice (quinoa, spelt, …). Rice flakes add crunchiness and texture to the granola.
Keywords: granola, cereals, breakfast, gluten free, muesli, nutty, orange, date, healthy